What the Enemy Doesn't Want You to Know
You may not even realize this. But there’s a spiritual war going on over your identity. Satan cannot create anything. Only God creates. God is the Creator. Satan has never created anything. Satan can only pervert, distort, or destroy. So what he likes to do is take what God has created for good and pervert it, distort it or destroy it.
The enemy doesn't want you to know your true identity. He doesn't want you to live in the freedom found in an identity in Christ. Why?
Satan isn’t as powerful as God. But what he likes to do is hurt God by hurting God’s kids, hurting God’s children. Satan knows that if he can keep you from being you, who God made you to be, if he can hide your true identity, if he can distort your true identity, if he can destroy what God intended for you to be, he has succeeded in hurting God by hurting God’s children.
How does Satan do this? How does Satan keep you from knowing your true identity? He uses a couple of different tools. One of the tools he uses is the opinions of other people. Your parents said things about you. Your peers have said things about you. Enemies and friends have said things about you. Some of them were true; some of them were not true. They were all trying to mold you into their image. People all your life have been trying to get you to be what they want you to be, not what God wants you to be. Satan uses the opinions of others to keep you from the true you – what you were meant to be by God.
Then Satan puts thoughts in your mind. You control your thoughts but people suggest thoughts to you all the time. Satan suggests thoughts. God also suggests thoughts. When God puts a thought in your mind, we call it inspiration – what a great idea! When God gives you a good idea, that’s an inspiration. When Satan puts a thought in your mind, we call that temptation. You choose whether you’re going to hold on to it or not.
Satan wants to steal your identity so he says things like this: “To be accepted by God, you have to earn it.” He says things like, “You don’t matter. You’re not important. In fact, you’re flat out worthless.” He says that to you all the time. He says things like, “You know that sin you committed? You can never be forgiven for that. You should be ashamed of yourself.” All shame comes from Satan.
The number one tool that Satan uses in our life to cause our true identity to be concealed from us is to get us to repeat what he’s told us. He’ll plant an idea in our mind, a seed, then he doesn’t have to mention it ever again. We just repeat it over and over and over because we heard it and we believed it: “I’m worthless, I’m no good, I’m never going to amount to anything, I can’t do that. I’m ashamed.” Satan doesn’t have to mess with most of us because he’s put an idea in our mind and we just keep repeating it to ourselves and now it’s part of our identity.
So, If all these tools are being used against me to conceal who God really made me to be – how do I know the real me? How do I know the true me, who God made me to be? You have to go to God’s Word and learn what God has already said about you. There are so many things God has said over you that you should memorize. When the lies of Satan flood in, you should repeat the truth over and over, maybe even out loud to combat what the enemy is telling you.
Here are a few great verses to start you off when it comes to knowing what God says about your true identity:
- John 1:12 ~”Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.”
- Ephesians 1:7 ~ “ In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace.“
- Genesis 1:27 ~ “So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”
- Jeremiah 1:5 ~“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
- 1 Peter 2:9 ~ “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.“
- Galatians 2:20~ “ I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
- John 15:15~ “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.”
- Ephesians 2:10~ “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
- Philippians 3:20~ “ But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ”
- Romans 8:37~ “ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.“
- Psalm 139:14 ~ “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17~ “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”